Established India’s premier Geriatric medical facility – Heritage Medical Centre at Hyderabad in 1994 and simultaneously started training street kids and youth from poor livelihoods in bedside care for elderly.
Got involved with the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment in 1995 and organised a national consultation in collaboration with a debate on policy for senior citizens and from then onwards, the ministry invited him for various discussions on evolving a policy till the NPOP 1999 was announced. Represented in the UNESCAP discussions in formulating regional action plan to commemorate the International Year of Older Persons. The ministry invited him to serve few committees including formulation of courses for geriatric training.
He was involved in the following:
- Involved in the formulation of the legislation – Maintenance & Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens from 2004 till the act was passed.
- Nominated to the second national council of older persons and served it till end of 2011.
- Appointed and served as a member of the committee to review the NPOP 2010 by the ministry.
- Served expert committee to advise on implementing the financial allocation of programmes for the Ageing.
- Served as a member of the committee to organise the national conference organised by the ministry in 2012 at Vigyan Bhavan.
- Member of the Executive Committee of NISD since this 2016
Served the following committees constituted by the Government of India
- Review of the Maintenance and Welfare of Parents and Senior Citizens Act, 2007.
- Distribution of Assistive Devices to the senior citizens.
- Review of the course syllabus by the NISD
- Core Group on Welfare and protection of elderly persons constituted by the National Human Rights Commission
Was one of the four member expert group involved in the management study of NISD in 2015. This group was appointed by the UNFPA India.
Served the erstwhile Andhra Pradesh Government’s state advisory council on implementing the NPOP 1999 from 2003 onwards.
Serves as a Member of the Core Group on Welfare of elderly citizens constituted by the National Human Rights Commission.
Served as a Board Member of the following international organisations:
- International Federation on Ageing from 2004 to 2014. Became the Global President during 2012-14. Its Secretariat is located in Toronto.
- International Association of Homes and Services for the Ageing during 2004-2009. Washington DC.
United Nations and World Health Organisation
- Been invited to serve as a Temporary Advisor and resource faculty by the WHO SEAR and hence shared experiences with various countries every year in different countries. In 2015, was involved in the development of the Global Strategy and Action Plan on Ageing and Health convened by WHO at Geneva.
- Invited to speak/talk by the UNESCAP for several years.
- In 2012, invited to be a part of the Global panel at the United Nations New York during the Open Ended Working Group discussions on Older Persons.